Finding a way to sleep well on a boat seems simple enough – you get a firm bed, buy one of the better boat mattresses in San Diego for it, and you’re good to go. However, it is a tad more complicated than that.
You need to be familiar with the aspects that make a quality boat mattress. You also need to know the signs that your boat mattress needs replacing, as well as learn how to stop mold from appearing underneath your boat mattress. But, for now, let’s see if we can help you sleep a bit better.
How to get the best night’s sleep on your boat?
There are people who are natural seafarers, who seem to have been born with gills instead of lungs, and that can’t wait to get on a boat, travel a bit, and then fall asleep on one while the waves are rocking them to sleep.
Then, there are people who can’t seem to get their seafeet whatever they try, and who just can’t sleep well on a boat. Some whom not even the American Academy of Sleep Medicine could help find their inner calm before they sleep.
Well, we’re here to help – on the one hand, we’ve tried to create a comprehensive guide on boat sleeping for beginners and, on the other hand, we’re sure that even the more experienced boating enthusiasts will find a couple of nuggets of wisdom here.
How do I prepare my sleeping accommodations?
The first staple of a good night’s sleep is the sleeping accommodations you’re going to be spending your night in.
How do you prepare your sleeping area on a boat?
Make sure you’ve got the right mattress for the job. Not all mattresses are meant for the waters, so you should definitely buy a special boat mattress that is as soft or as hard as you’d like it to be.
It gets chilly on boat, especially in the evening, and there’s nothing worse than waking up because you’re too cold, and not having another blanket for emergencies. Always bring a couple of extra blankets if you’re preparing for a boating adventure.
Lastly, you might want to complete your bedtime ritual with a pop-up changing room. If you’re a pajamas-wearing person, having a private place to change can prove a good beginning to a great night’s sleep.
What practical aspects of sleeping on a boat should I pay attention to?
Once you’ve got your sleeping accommodations all set up just as you like them, you should start thinking about the practical side of spending the night on a boat:
- Light – If you have a tendency of waking up in the middle of the night to grab a drink of water, make sure you have a flashlight nearby. Oh, and make sure it’s waterproof, just in case.
- Bathroom – Depending on whether or not you frequent the bathroom at night, check the bathroom setup to know what to expect.
- The basics – Finally, make sure you’re surrounded by all the items you would normally use at home right before going to bed, so as to minimize night ramblings around the boat.
How should I prepare for potential emergencies?
Lastly, but nowhere near leastly, you need to be prepared for potential emergencies as well. The chances of you actually having to react to an emergency are slim, but still existent, so you should do well to be ready, just in case:
- Checks – If you’re feeling uneasy about sleeping on a boat, check all the potentially hazardous aspects of boating before you go to bed. This will help you sleep more soundly, and also prepare you for any potential emergencies.
- Alarm – Think about getting a bilge alarm. This handy little device will notify you in case the boat starts filling up with water overnight. Better an alarm than your feet getting wet.
- Anchor – When sleeping on a boat, an anchor is your best friend, so anchoring well is a good way to prevent any serious emergencies from occurring.
“OK, I’ve got it all covered, now I’m just looking for the best boat mattress for me in San Diego.”
Special boat mattresses can still be considered somewhat of an oddity in the world of sleeping accessories, as not many companies make them, and not all of them make them well. However, there is a place in San Diego you can find the boat mattress of your dreams – Mattress Makers.
We’ve been making mattresses for generations, and we definitely know what a great boat mattress does. So, if you like the water, just not sleeping on it, stop by our store anytime you’re near Heritage Park, and we’ll make sure you leave completely ready for a night on the waves!