There’s more to finding out what a boat mattress is than just looking up pictures online. It’s a whole other story when compared to regular mattresses and buying a boat mattress in San Diego requires thorough research.
However, we’ve taken the liberty to answer some of the burning boat mattress-related questions – when you need to replace a mattress, how to prevent mold from forming underneath a boat mattress, and how to maximize your sleep quality on a boat mattress. So, let’s begin.
What is a boat bed mattress?
Explaining what a boat mattress is seems easy enough at first. It’s a mattress you use on a boat. And that is true, for the most part. Not exactly a definition supplied by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, but still true.
But, true in the broadest sense of the word. Boats come in different shapes and sizes, and their sleeping quarters are frequently shaped in such a way that a regular mattress would just not fit properly.
That is why a subcategory of boat and marine mattresses exists. The size and shape of a boat mattress depend on the size, shape, and layout of your aquatic sleeping area. And, the situation being as is, boat mattresses are usually unlike any other type of mattress you’ve seen.
They look “weird” and “awkward”, but that’s only because mostly, all of these mattresses are specially manufactured for their customers from special materials in order to prevent mold from forming. But, what about the characteristics that make good boat mattresses?
What should I look for when buying a boat mattress?
When looking to buy a mattress for your boat, there are many aspects to pay attention to:
- Measurements – Make sure that the mattress seller is willing to visit your boat or yacht to take the measurements. This is best left to the pros as all of us can make a mistake.
- Delivery and installation – Some sellers don’t deliver and install your boat mattress. If that’s the case, our advice is to look for another place to buy as this is definitely not something you need to trouble yourself with. Plus, it’s different when licensed professionals take care of every step of the process.
- Materials – Look for a mattress shop where you can choose between different types of mattresses, depending on your needs. Some people prefer pocketed coils, latex, or memory foam while there are still traditionalists who can’t get good sleep without springs. Whatever your preference, make sure the seller has enough options for you to choose from.
- Mold resistance – Whatever you do and wherever you choose to buy, this one’s important. Never buy a boat mattress without a special mold-resistant bottom made from vinyl. Your health is your top priority, and if mold forms, the mattress becomes far from healthy to sleep on.
- CertiPur foam and natural materials – Finally, if possible, try to find a mattress manufacturer that implements natural materials and CertiPur foam. This ensures that there are no hazardous substances or any harsh chemicals and allergens in your mattress. These mattresses are healthier, produce low-VOC emissions, and are suitable for the environment you’ll be using them in.
How to customize a mattress for boat?
To be completely honest, customizing a boat mattress or making a customized boat mattress from scratch is a daunting task, even for seasoned mattress manufacturers. There are so many aspects to take into consideration that we don’t advise you to do it yourself.
The best option is always to turn to professionals, find mattress makers that manufacture custom boat mattresses, and ask them to do all the work. As we’ve said earlier, find a company that will go to the site, take measurements, and make a mattress of your dreams.
“Where can I find a company to make a boat mattress for me?”
If you’re in the wider San Diego area, you’re in luck, because the finest manufacturers of quality mattresses for boats in San Diego are right at your doorstep – Mattress Makers. We are a family business and we place quality and our customer’s desires as our top priority.
We will measure the space for you, deliver the mattress, make sure the mattress is just as you want it, and made with natural materials and CertiPur foam. You’ve probably visited SeaWorld San Diego, but let us make your own sea world as enjoyable as it can be. Visit us today!