Preventing mold from appearing under your boat mattress is one of the surest ways of getting a good night’s sleep, right next to customizing your boat mattress, or replacing your boat mattress altogether if it’s starting to show signs of wear and tear.
But, if you’ve recently bought a new boat mattress in San Diego CA, you should definitely know how to stop the mold from finding its way underneath your mattress. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get cracking!
How do you prevent mold from forming under boat mattress?
Prevention is always the best solution, especially when it comes to boat mattresses. Boats are always going to have a humid environment, and you’re always going to risk mold forming. But, there are some precautions you can take in order to prevent mold from appearing under your mattress.
And, we feel that we have to emphasize this fact once more, before moving on to prevention methods – mold is extremely unhealthy in any scenario, but especially when it comes to your sleeping space. According to the Stanford Center for Sleep Medicine, you should do all you can to either stop it from forming, or cleaning it up if it does.
How to prevent mold?
Ventilation is key for mold prevention, and, unless your sleeping accommodations on the boat are well-ventilated, there is a great possibility of mold appearing.
No matter how clean your carpet might seem, it is still incredibly retentive, and it will act as a sponge and an incubator for various unhealthy particles, mold included. Mind your carpeting on a boat, or remove it altogether.
- Air flow
Couple ventilation of your bedroom with adequate air flow throughout the insides of your boat, and it will do wonders when it comes to preventing mold from appearing.
You should always cover your bed base with a special coat of mold-repellent paint if you want to be triple sure that mold has as tough a time as possible of seeping into your nautical bedroom.
Finally, if you’re only beginning to look for a mattress for your boat, try to find a quality mattress that has been manufactured specifically for use on boats. Boat mattresses are different than regular once, and they are more resistant to mold.
How do I eliminate mold if it has already formed?
If mold is already present, don’t panic – we’ll give you a step-by-step guide on how to remove it completely without damaging your bed frame and your mattress.
- Vacuuming – First, take a vacuum cleaner and thoroughly clean both sides of your mattress. Just because mold has appeared only on the bottom doesn’t mean that the top isn’t contaminated as well. Then, clean the dust catcher of your vacuum cleaner so as to avoid the spreading of mold spores.
- Cleaning – Now, take some rubbing alcohol and mix it with equal parts warm water. It’s best to use a disposable container for this bit. Take a cloth, soak it in the alcohol-water solution, wring it out, and try to scrub the mold off your mattress as thoroughly as possible. Scrub in a circular motion, and don’t just focus on the moldy bits – clean the entire mattress.
- Rinsing – Take a container, pour some warm water in it, and take a new, clean cloth. However, wring the cloth out well, as you don’t want any extra moisture left on your mattress, because moist areas are fertile ground for mold. Be thorough, but don’t let your mattress become too moist.
- Disinfecting – After rinsing, take a disinfectant and spray it evenly, but sparingly, all over your mattress. This will kill off all the remaining mold, and make your mattress ready for sleeping again.
- Drying – Finally, take your now-clean mattress out and place it in direct sunlight. Your mattress will get dry, and sunshine will stop any more mold from forming, as it is very harmful to it.
“Where can I find a good mattress for a boat in San Diego?”
Sometimes, the best thing to do in order to prevent mold from forming under your boat mattress is to first buy a quality mattress designed and manufactured specifically for marine use. These mattresses repel mold more effectively, and it is less likely it will form under such a mattress no matter the conditions on your boat.
Luckily, we know the perfect place for such a purchase – Mattress Makers in San Diego. We are a family of mattress manufacturers familiar with every trick of the trade. What’s more, we make special boat mattresses that are perfect for your nautical sleeping accommodations. So, if you’re ever near the Fleet Science Center, perhaps inquiring about mold, stop by our place and check out our stock!