Preventing mold from appearing under your boat mattress is one of the surest ways of getting a good night’s sleep, right next to customizing your boat mattress, or replacing your boat mattress altogether if it’s starting to show signs of wear and tear.
But, if you’ve recently bought a new boat mattress in San Diego CA, you should definitely know how to stop the mold from finding its way underneath your mattress. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get cracking!
How do you prevent mold from forming under boat mattress?
Prevention is always the best solution, especially when it comes to boat mattresses. Boats are always going to have a humid environment, and you’re always going to risk mold forming. But, there are some precautions you can take in order to prevent mold from appearing under your mattress.
And, we feel that we have to emphasize this fact once more, before moving on to prevention methods – mold is extremely unhealthy in any scenario, but especially when it comes to your sleeping space. According to the Stanford Center for Sleep Medicine, you should do all you can to either stop it from forming, or cleaning it up if it does.
How to prevent mold?
Ventilation is key for mold prevention, and, unless your sleeping accommodations on the boat are well-ventilated, there is a great possibility of mold appearing.
No matter how clean your carpet might seem, it is still incredibly retentive, and it will act as a sponge and an incubator for various unhealthy particles, mold included. Mind your carpeting on a boat, or remove it altogether.
- Air flow
Couple ventilation of your bedroom with adequate air flow throughout the insides of your boat, and it will do wonders when it comes to preventing mold from appearing.
You should always cover your bed base with a special coat of mold-repellent paint if you want to be triple sure that mold has as tough a time as possible of seeping into your nautical bedroom.
Finally, if you’re only beginning to look for a mattress for your boat, try to find a quality mattress that has been manufactured specifically for use on boats. Boat mattresses are different than regular once, and they are more resistant to mold.
How do I eliminate mold if it has already formed?
If mold is already present, don’t panic – we’ll give you a step-by-step guide on how to remove it completely without damaging your bed frame and your mattress.
- Vacuuming – First, take a vacuum cleaner and thoroughly clean both sides of your mattress. Just because mold has appeared only on the bottom doesn’t mean that the top isn’t contaminated as well. Then, clean the dust catcher of your vacuum cleaner so as to avoid the spreading of mold spores.
- Cleaning – Now, take some rubbing alcohol and mix it with equal parts warm water. It’s best to use a disposable container for this bit. Take a cloth, soak it in the alcohol-water solution, wring it out, and try to scrub the mold off your mattress as thoroughly as possible. Scrub in a circular motion, and don’t just focus on the moldy bits – clean the entire mattress.
- Rinsing – Take a container, pour some warm water in it, and take a new, clean cloth. However, wring the cloth out well, as you don’t want any extra moisture left on your mattress, because moist areas are fertile ground for mold. Be thorough, but don’t let your mattress become too moist.
- Disinfecting – After rinsing, take a disinfectant and spray it evenly, but sparingly, all over your mattress. This will kill off all the remaining mold, and make your mattress ready for sleeping again.
- Drying – Finally, take your now-clean mattress out and place it in direct sunlight. Your mattress will get dry, and sunshine will stop any more mold from forming, as it is very harmful to it.
“Where can I find a good mattress for a boat in San Diego?”
Sometimes, the best thing to do in order to prevent mold from forming under your boat mattress is to first buy a quality mattress designed and manufactured specifically for marine use. These mattresses repel mold more effectively, and it is less likely it will form under such a mattress no matter the conditions on your boat.
Luckily, we know the perfect place for such a purchase – Mattress Makers in San Diego. We are a family of mattress manufacturers familiar with every trick of the trade. What’s more, we make special boat mattresses that are perfect for your nautical sleeping accommodations. So, if you’re ever near the Fleet Science Center, perhaps inquiring about mold, stop by our place and check out our stock!
There’s more to finding out what a boat mattress is than just looking up pictures online. It’s a whole other story when compared to regular mattresses and buying a boat mattress in San Diego requires thorough research.
However, we’ve taken the liberty to answer some of the burning boat mattress-related questions – when you need to replace a mattress, how to prevent mold from forming underneath a boat mattress, and how to maximize your sleep quality on a boat mattress. So, let’s begin.
What is a boat bed mattress?
Explaining what a boat mattress is seems easy enough at first. It’s a mattress you use on a boat. And that is true, for the most part. Not exactly a definition supplied by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, but still true.
But, true in the broadest sense of the word. Boats come in different shapes and sizes, and their sleeping quarters are frequently shaped in such a way that a regular mattress would just not fit properly.
That is why a subcategory of boat and marine mattresses exists. The size and shape of a boat mattress depend on the size, shape, and layout of your aquatic sleeping area. And, the situation being as is, boat mattresses are usually unlike any other type of mattress you’ve seen.
They look “weird” and “awkward”, but that’s only because mostly, all of these mattresses are specially manufactured for their customers from special materials in order to prevent mold from forming. But, what about the characteristics that make good boat mattresses?
What should I look for when buying a boat mattress?
When looking to buy a mattress for your boat, there are many aspects to pay attention to:
- Measurements – Make sure that the mattress seller is willing to visit your boat or yacht to take the measurements. This is best left to the pros as all of us can make a mistake.
- Delivery and installation – Some sellers don’t deliver and install your boat mattress. If that’s the case, our advice is to look for another place to buy as this is definitely not something you need to trouble yourself with. Plus, it’s different when licensed professionals take care of every step of the process.
- Materials – Look for a mattress shop where you can choose between different types of mattresses, depending on your needs. Some people prefer pocketed coils, latex, or memory foam while there are still traditionalists who can’t get good sleep without springs. Whatever your preference, make sure the seller has enough options for you to choose from.
- Mold resistance – Whatever you do and wherever you choose to buy, this one’s important. Never buy a boat mattress without a special mold-resistant bottom made from vinyl. Your health is your top priority, and if mold forms, the mattress becomes far from healthy to sleep on.
- CertiPur foam and natural materials – Finally, if possible, try to find a mattress manufacturer that implements natural materials and CertiPur foam. This ensures that there are no hazardous substances or any harsh chemicals and allergens in your mattress. These mattresses are healthier, produce low-VOC emissions, and are suitable for the environment you’ll be using them in.
How to customize a mattress for boat?
To be completely honest, customizing a boat mattress or making a customized boat mattress from scratch is a daunting task, even for seasoned mattress manufacturers. There are so many aspects to take into consideration that we don’t advise you to do it yourself.
The best option is always to turn to professionals, find mattress makers that manufacture custom boat mattresses, and ask them to do all the work. As we’ve said earlier, find a company that will go to the site, take measurements, and make a mattress of your dreams.
“Where can I find a company to make a boat mattress for me?”
If you’re in the wider San Diego area, you’re in luck, because the finest manufacturers of quality mattresses for boats in San Diego are right at your doorstep – Mattress Makers. We are a family business and we place quality and our customer’s desires as our top priority.
We will measure the space for you, deliver the mattress, make sure the mattress is just as you want it, and made with natural materials and CertiPur foam. You’ve probably visited SeaWorld San Diego, but let us make your own sea world as enjoyable as it can be. Visit us today!
Double-sided mattresses are great, but, for some reason, they are still considered a novelty by many. People are unsure how often to flip the mattress, what the reasons for buying a double-sided mattress are, and they even wonder for how long flippable mattresses have been around?
Well, they’ve been around for quite some time, but we understand your concerns as they’re not exactly common. We’ve taken it upon ourselves to tell you why double-sided mattresses are an excellent choice as long as you go for a trusted double-sided mattress mattress firm.
Are double-sided mattresses better?
When it comes to mattresses, as well as any other sleep-related elements, it is difficult to say that one is better than the other. Sleeping comfort is a personal matter, and what may be the best mattress in the world for one person can easily be the worst sleeping choice for another. It is something not even the American Academy of Sleep Medicine can give a definitive answer to.
However, when it comes to double-sided mattresses, we might be able to give you a direct response to your question, or at least an initial pointer from which you can continue your mattress hunting.
It has been our experience that people are usually more satisfied with double-sided mattresses rather than their single-sided counterparts. They are chunkier, sturdier, and, more often than not, more comfortable to sleep on. But, let’s see why exactly we think that double-sided mattresses are, in fact, a better choice.
Why are double-sided mattresses better?
In the battle of the mattresses, there can only be one clear winner, at least when we set aside the subjective and focus on the clearly perceivable objective benefits of double-sided mattresses.
- Durability – Because these mattresses consist of two sides, it is normal they’re going to last longer.
- Wear and tear – Since double-sided mattresses are flipped on a regular basis, the wear and tear is evenly distributed, preventing lumps and dents in the mattress.
- Comfort – You can check which side of the mattress feels more comfortable and sleep on it.
- Price – When you compare the prices of single-sided mattresses to the prices of double-sided ones, you’ll see that the difference is minor for the advantages.
Do double-sided mattresses last longer?
Now, unlike the previous questions, this one is really easy to answer. Yes, double-sided mattresses do last longer than all other types of mattresses. And that’s a fact. There is no way around it and nobody can disprove this benefits of double-sided mattresses.
There are two sides. You flip your mattress regularly, thus, preventing the appearance of any major wear on either side of the mattress. This way, you maximize the lifespan of your mattress, going far beyond anything a single-sided mattress can bring to the table.
Where can I buy a double-sided mattress in San Diego CA?
When looking to buy a double-sided mattress, you have to be aware of a single piece of information – these mattresses are not as popular as they once were and your quest for one might be more difficult than you were expecting.
That being said, there is one type of a double-sided mattress that’s miles ahead of the competition and you can easily find it – the Kensington. It comes in three variants – firm, medium, and plush, to fit every sleeping style, and the only place that sells it is Mattress Makers!
“So, are you sure Mattress Makers is the best place to buy a double-sided mattress?”
Not only are we sure, but we’re positive! Mattress Makers is a family business spanning two generations. Making the finest mattresses is not only a business for us, but a matter of family pride.
No matter if you’re looking for a plush or firm double-sided mattress, there is no better place to buy one than our shop. If you’re planning a trip to Seaport Village, plan a quick pit stop to Mattress Makers. You won’t regret it!
“Why should I buy a double-sided mattress?”. “How often should I turn my mattress over?”. “Are double-sided mattresses really that good?”. “When did double-sided mattresses first appear?”. Oh, the questions…
But, we understand, we really do. Buying a mattress is an important event, and choosing a double-sided one can be twice as difficult. That is why we’re going to help you with each and every one of your dilemmas about buying a double-sided mattress king size in San Diego.
Do they still make mattresses that you can flip over?
The answer to this question is a firm “yes”. Double-sided mattresses were extremely popular in the past, but they’ve become slightly less popular nowadays. That’s why it’s easy to mistakenly assume that they’ve disappeared from the market altogether.
However, it is a fact that they’re becoming increasingly rare despite the numerous benefits American Academy of Sleep Medicine lists. It’s much less common to see them in showrooms, and more difficult to actually find a good one to buy.
However, even though nearly a niche market at this point, it’s still possible to find a quality double-sided mattress in San Diego if you really want one. You just have to search a bit harder.
Why choose a double-sided mattress?
It’s easy to forget about all the benefits of a double-sided mattress. They’re no longer as common and there are fewer manufacturers who make them. However, we’re going to remind you of all the benefits they have to offer.
- Long-lasting – Flippable mattresses last longer than any other regular mattress out there. After all, they have two sides.
- Cost-effective – They’re more durable, but usually cost the same, or slightly more than a regular mattress. If that’s not a good deal, we don’t know what is!
- Comfort – Yes, you can buy a regular mattress that will meet your needs. But, with a double-sided mattress, each side can have different properties and you can flip it according to what you want at any given moment.
- Environmentally friendly – They last longer, a lot longer, meaning double-sided mattresses don’t need to be replaced as often as regular ones. This will reduce your environmental impact and make you greener.
Where to buy double-sided mattresses?
When it comes to finding a place to buy a double-sided mattress, it’s important that you find a trusted provider. There are still some manufacturers out there and you could find them easily if you Google for a bit.
However, before actually buying one, you need to find out which flippable mattress is the best on the market. The competition is fierce, but there is only one double-sided sleeping king on the throne, and it’s the Kensington.
Kensington comes in three varieties – firm, medium, and plush, so you can choose one depending on how firm you like your mattress to be. It features edge-to-edge coils that are individually wrapped, but is still mostly made in a traditional way, assuring good quality and longevity. If you want to turn flippable, there is no better option out there.
“Kensington sounds exactly like what I need, where can I buy it?”
If it’s Kensington king size double-sided mattress you need, there is literally only one place you can buy it, and that’s at Mattress Makers in San Diego. We make it with great dedication and professionalism in order to ensure that we deliver the best quality mattresses to our customers. If you’re a baseball enthusiast, it takes a well-rested person to cheer loud at Petco Park, so stop by our store and let us help you choose the mattress of your dreams!